FLIPPER RELAYS 4-J10
Preparation: (5 minutes)
You will need:
* flippers * snorkel mask * tape, rope or chalk
1. Send a note home requesting a few pairs of swim flippers and snorkel masks.
2. Mark a starting line and turn around line with tape, rope or chalk.
1. Gather the children and hold up the flippers and snorkel mask. Ask if they know what they are used for and who might use them. Explain that they are going to pretend to be ocean snorkelers, but instead of swimming in the water, they are going to swim on land!
2. Demonstrate how to slip the flippers and mask on and how to lift the legs high to walk. Give them each a few minutes practice before beginning.
3. Tell the children that the object of this relay is to put on the flippers and mask, walk down to the turnaround line and back, take the flippers and mask off and pass them to the next child in line. The team to do this the most quickly becomes Master Snorkelers!
4. Divide the class into 2 or more teams (use as many flipper and mask sets as you have donated) and line them up to begin. Start them with a, Ready, Set, Swim command.
5. Swim this relay 2 or more times if time allows.
** Because children may trip or fall while playing, keep on a well-carpeted or grassy area.
Under The Boardwalk HN1 S10 GM3 Games